I caught the end of the President's speech tonight. Then I was "blessed" (cough, cough, sputter, sputter) to hear Brian Williams and Tim Russert share their thoughts about it. Oh yeah, and the NBC White House Correspondent, I can't remember his name. President Bush said:
Four years after the frightening experience of September the 11th, Americans have every right to expect a more effective response in a time of emergency. When the federal government fails to meet such an obligation, I, as President, am responsible for the problem, and for the solution.
Oh my, they jumped all over that. The White House Correspondent Man (LOL) said that President Bush's speech was different than his past speeches. Normally he doesn't admit his mistakes.
Hello, HE DIDN'T admit a mistake. As the President of the United States, if someone in the federal government screws up, it ends up being his responsibility, whether it's his FAULT or not!
Tim Russert was just a blowin' and a goin', and I finally had to turn it off. I even had my 8yo hollering at the TV. *grin*
Anyway, I thought
this was rather interesting. I've read several places that despite the MSM's best efforts, the people who were actually INVOLVED in the hurricane (and therefore didn't have TV and the means to be indoctrinated ;-) ) don't blame the President at all really.
Here's another example.
(I'm NOT real crazy about Bush's plan to spend spend spend, but that is what he likes to do in these sort of situations, so I can't say I'm surprised.)
I thought that first article was so funny, how hard they were trying to get someone to lay into Bush! And I agree - just because someone fell down on the job under the President doesn't mean he is at fault. The FEMA director was appointed by Clinton, but I don't see Clinton getting blamed by the MSM. And Bush did his part 2 days before the storm hit by declaring the areas national disaster areas in advance. I'm not a big Bush fan (and sometimes really regret voting for him) but I hate to see someone getting blamed for something very clearly not their fault.
I do like Laura Bush. I think if she were to have a more visible profile it would help his ratings. And I agree - Kerry would have been a horrible president! My husband said it could have worked, because when the house is all Republican a Democrat prez keeps it in balance. He still voted for Bush though, so go figure.
Wow, my second troll. I feel so honored. :-)
Holly,
I do still really like Bush. I even still have his bumper sticker on my car. (Much to the horror of my fil!!!) :-) There are just some pretty big issues that I've been disappointed with, but overall I'd still vote for him. :-)
I too appreciated his response (although it was a bit late).
J.C. Watts was on Hannity today, and man I wish HE would run for President! I REALLY like him! Alan Keyes and J.C. Watts would be a great ticket. :-D