Friday, October 14, 2005

A Parenting Epiphany

(Disclaimer #1: I am SO not an expert in this area. I am deep in the trenches. This is merely an observation and a revelation I had.)

(Disclaimer #2: I will be speaking in GENERALITIES. I know that not everyone is the same. I'm only speaking of the tendencies that I've witnessed.)

It seems that there are 2 extremes on the parenting spectrum. At one end you have the grace-based discipline camp, and at the other end you have the Pearl/Ezzo/Woodshed camp. As I was talking with a mom yesterday, it occured to me that often the difference between these 2 camps is due to the assumptions the parents make about a particular behavior.

The Pearl/Ezzo/Woodshed parents tend to look at the child doing xyz and assume that the child is being rebellious. The child, therefore, needs to be disciplined so that he won't do xyz anymore. I've heard moms ask how to train their 10-month-olds out of picking up things off the floor and putting them in their mouths - did they need to give them a swat for that? Toddlers are discplined for getting out of bed PERIOD during the night. Etc.

On the flip side, many (I know not all, TG ;-) ) GBD parents tend to look at the child doing xyz and assume that it's a developmental issue, something is wrong with the child, something is wrong with the relationship between the child and parent, etc. In other words, often excuses are made for the behavior. If the child stands up in a restaurant and starts running around, he's just being "spirited." If he colors on the walls he is showing his creativity. Etc.

Both of these approaches have their place. But the tendency to usually assume rebellion or the tendency to usually assume innocence can be dangerous. There must be a balance, and the parent must look to the WHY behind said behavior. Toddlers do need to be trained to stay in their beds, but the parent must realize that there are legitimate reasons for the toddler to get up (potty, sick, bad dream, etc.). A child in a restaurant must not be expected to just "sit there and wait" with nothing to do, but he also must not be allowed to just run around either.

There are also situations in which it could go either way. An older baby is screaming in his high chair. The Ezzo/Pearl/Woodshed parent might discipline the baby for the screaming ("discipline" could mean a myriad of things - I'm not talking specifically of spa*king). The GBD parent might completely ignore it in the name of development ("Oh, he's just expressing himself.") But what they all need to be looking at is WHY the baby is screaming. Is he screaming because he was told, "No," to something? Is he screaming because his food is too hot, and he burnt his finger? Is it because he's done and wants to get down? Is it because his belt is pinching him? Is it because he is not pleased with the food he's been given? Etc.

I think that many parents don't go to this extreme and do look at the situation to see just what is going on. But ya know, I have to be honest, I've seen/heard some things that make me wonder!

I knew that the 2 camps were pretty much polar opposites, but I've never been able to figure out WHY. So when it dawned on me yesterday (as I was thinking to myself, "Man, give the kid some grace! He might not be acting 'rebellious' as you think!") that the basic assumptions that are behind these 2 approaches are what is so different, it just really opened my eyes. We need to be aware of rebellion as a possibility, but we don't need to ASSUME it. We need to be aware of some legitimate reason behind some sort of behavior, but we don't need to ASSUME it and excuse the behavior right off. We need to approach each situation with fresh eyes, asking the Holy Spirit to reveal to us the real reason behind that situation. It may not be what we think.

15 Comments:

great post! and so true, so many times i do either extreme out of sheer lazieness, instead of finding out why the kids are doing whatever it is that is being done

Well put, keer. My wife & I were just chatting yesterday about how it seems Christian parents often argue whether they should be "grace-based" or "rule-based." I've heard it said (incorrectly, in my opinion) that we are saved by grace and that the law is no longer applied to us; that God relates to us graciously; and so our parenting should be "grace-based" and not rule-based. Of course, the problem with this attitude (which is just as incorrect as the other extreme) is that while God does in fact relate to us graciously, we are also called to conform to the law of Christ (cf. Gal. 6:2). Or as Paul put it so well, "What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? By no means!" (Romans 6:1-2). Grace reigns in us, that righteousness may reign as well.

May the Lord help us to be diligent to work hard to understanding our children's hearts, so that we do not fall back into mere assumption in determining how we treat them.

One word of defense for "woodshedders" (with whom I find some common ground, but also some differences): Elizabeth has what I think is a helpful article advocating exactly the kind of careful thinking that should underlie any actions we take with our children.

Thanks for that link, Evers! It is a good one! It has been quite some time since I've been at that site - I left the message board a while back because of some of the attitudes I'm talking about (the assumption that the child is rebelling even though he's not), however it was from others, not necessarily Elizabeth herself. (Mostly I felt I didn't fit in, and I usually felt stressed after visiting the boards, so I gave up.) I've always enjoyed her articles. The one you posted is one I hadn't seen and is exactly what I'm referring to! Thanks again!

Very good article, Keer! Parenting doesn't work by a formula, much as we'd like it to. We have to treat each child and each situation with both grace and discipline. Rarely are any two situations exactly the same, and never are two children the same!

One example, from when our oldest (almost 17) was about 7 years old. We were living two houses over from our church, and of course, our church had a parking lot. We told our son that he could ride his bike "in the parking lot." Now, our church also had a grassy area where people would park, kind of an overflow parking area, which was separated from a very busy 4 lane street by just a chain link fence. In fact, our church sat at one of the busiest intersections in our part of the city. My dh goes out to see what our son is doing, and he finds him in this grassy section, riding his bike close to this fence, with cars whizzing all around! His first reaction is to tell our son to get in the house, which he does, but when he questions our son about why he was riding where he wasn't supposed to, our little boy said, "But Daddy, you said I could ride in the parking lot!" My husband hadn't even thought about the grassy area being considered a parking lot; he had meant that our son could ride in the paved lot. So instead of spa*king him for "rebellion", he clarified what he meant by "the parking lot," and our son never rode his bike there again. My husband used some balance in finding out exactly what was going on first, then proceeding with whatever discipline was needed - which was none, because as far as our son knew, he was obeying what we had told him.

I agree with your assessment.

I try as a parent to judge whether a bad event is an accident, a misunderstanding, or a sin. I try only to punish sin.

I am sure I have failed but that is my mindset, and I think it is an important one.

I also explain to my children that I do not punish mistakes, only deliberate misbehavior. I explain it even when they are very young, so they understand.

"Do unto others as you would have done unto you." Do I want to be punished for accident and ignorance? Or only for rebellion?

Great post - well thought out. I'm sure parents could benefit from your wisdom - if they take it to heart.

I agree too! The WHY is very important and can help guide us as parents on what to do next in the training area for a child.

I totally agree, Kirstin!

I'm not sure why people seem to want to pin a label on everything--even their parenting. I know I did for a long time and to this day, I can't figure out why I did it and it puzzles me.

Perhaps the best label is an "Aware Parent"? One who makes sure that they are aware of the circumstances before they come to snap judgements????

When I take the time to observe and respond to my children there is a night and day difference from when I parent by reflex or out of convenience.

It is MUCH harder, but have to remind myself that God never called me to an easy life, and to look for the easy way out (that includes "Defining" myself or lining up blindly behind a label) is wrong.

My husband tends to be stricter than I am, and more readily assumes that any screaming is a temper tantrum. I tend to be too lenient. Together, we're closer to approaching balance.=)

I agree with your assessment, Keer, but not quite with your vocabulary LOL. I'd say that the two extremes are the "Pearl/woodshed, etc" vs. "non-coercive" parenting (what I would call just plain permissive LOL). Having spent quite a lot of time at various online GBD sites, etc. - I'm not sure that the characterization is entirely accurate. MOST moms that I know that would call themselves "grace-based" in their parenting style would look at developmental stages, etc., but not for a reason to excuse the behavior; More for a way to predict and head off or deal with the behavior in the future.

And you know me well enough to know, I'm not arguing with ya - just yakkin LOL. :-)

Amanda

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

have thought about this as well. When I wrote the my post the three R's of parenting I summed it up this way,

Rules without relationship leads to rebellion

Relationship without rules leads to lawlessness

and rules and relationships without repentance in Jesus makes not difference at all.

Here's the post

http://spunkyhomeschool.blogspot.com/2005/06/3rs-of-parenting.html

spunky

Hummm. I think the only real problems I have is that I don't feel like I'm in a Pearl/Ezzo camp, even though I obviously like the Pearls (lol).

I just don't feel like our home fits the description you gave of the Pearl/Ezzo camp's side, and nor do most of the folks I've ever met who like the Pearls (or the few that have really liked Ezzo, though, granted, I've never met anyone who actually did the "GKGW classes" so I realize I'm not very familiar with actual *churches* that do the program or what those homes are like).

...But I'm sure you were expecting at least ONE comment that says this! HA!

I'm always using my "mommy antennaes" to figure out what's going on--looking for the root of it, you know, not just the quick fix. Does the disobedient toddler just need a NAP? Or is that rebellion glinting in his eye, just trying to figure out what the boundaries are and if I'll actually stick with them under pressure? Or is it that he needs a good wrestle and tickle-match with mom? :o) Sometimes the answer is d.) All of the Above! lol...

Looking for "disobedience behind every corner" to squash is not my idea of having fun with my children! Or having joy as a mommy, for that matter. Besides, I sure am glad that God is not always looking at ME that way. Yeesh, that would be scary!!!!!!!!

I'm all for parenting in the shadow of my Parent...and He is a very balanced Daddy. Faithful to give me a huge hug when I need it, and faithful to discipline me when I need it too...and you know what? Whatever He does, I always feel very very very LOVED during it. He is FOR me. And that's what I think is important as I parent--being FOR my children all the way.

*grins*

Btw, it's nice to be able to comment again!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Do you regret it already, or what?)...

Molly,

Girl, did you totally skip my "Disclaimer #2" up there or something??? ;-)

No, not at all. *big huge grin* I just wanted to pester you (the top part of my comment), that's all...
LOL!
And then (in the second half) I was just in the mood to blab and actually had a spare sec to do it (gasp)... I'll try and be more obvious when I'm in a goofball mood next time...(which is about half the time--lol)...
Molly
Love,
Molly

Back to Keer "Unplugged"

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com

Women4God Blogs

Godblogroll

My Photo
Name: razorbackmama
Location: Colorado, United States
E-mail me
About Me: I'm a 37yo woman who loves Jesus, my husband of 18 years, and my 8 precious children. We homeschool the older 5 (formally, anyway!). We attend a nondenominational, non-charismatic church.
See my complete profile

Subscribe with Bloglines

The WeatherPixie