
(I received Mock 'n' Roll free from Mind & Media, as a gift from Paul Aldrich. I have received no further compensation for writing this review.)
This CD is FUNNY. If you enjoy parodies and just good, clean fun, you will love this CD.
Paul Aldrich uses the tunes from several classic songs as the basis for his jokes. The CD opens with "Stairway to 7 Eleven," written to the tune of "Stairway to Heaven." "If I Had Cable" parodies "If I Had a Hammer," and in it Paul tells about the things that today's college students face:
If I had cable(There's more, but I don't want to spoil the fun. :-) )
I'd watch it in the morning
I'd watch it in the evening
All over this land
From the Baywatch reruns
To Temptation Island
I'd learn about lust between
My brothers and my sisters
All over this land
Paul also has some original tunes on this CD, like one of my favorites, "A Dyslexic Love Song":
What a wonderful name
Kathy, Y-H-T-A-K
He takes a serious turn at the end of the CD, sharing a prayer for the Lord to change him through the song "Alter Me."
Paul pokes fun at several contemporary issues and even denominational ones. He is from California and has been exposed to lots of liberals and their behavior, so he pokes fun at them as well. Some children and young adults may have no idea about any of these topics, so parents may want to listen first without their children present. Paul doesn't present these ideas as OK or even tolerable, but some parents may not want their children to be exposed at all.
Paul turns the whole "mindset" into a joke. In "Gilligan's PC Island," he expresses what the song might be like if it were politically-correct, and he includes a reference to a lesbian and her wife. He also makes a joke out of some of the different denominations in "Denomination Dating Blues." He even jokes about today's preoccupation with therapy in a parody of "Yesterday," "Therapy."
Some would find any reference to any of these things offensive, so they probably do not need to listen to this CD. I can see that he is making fun of those situations/topics, so I found his jokes hilarious.
Anyone younger than I am may not understand the different references to songs. They are from about 10-15 years before my time. People my parents' age will REALLY find his songs funny.
Finding clean comedy is hard to do, but Paul Aldrich has made it easier with his Mock 'n' Roll.




