Thursday, August 18, 2005

An epiphany

Sometime last week I had an epiphany. We have a large family.

I know, I know, y'all are probably thinking, "DUH, Keer." But it just hit me that we have been trying to function like a small family, and when you have a large family you just can't. Until S came along we were more of a big Small Family. And I think with her we crossed over and became a small Large Family. It seems like something so minor, but in a way it changes everything.

Clothes storage for large families is different than it is for small families.

Toy storage is different.

The type of cookware a large family needs is different.

A schedule of some sort is more necessary. (At least around here it is!)

Chore needs and assignments are different in large families.

Even something as minor as toothbrush organization can be a hurdle a large family has to overcome.

As I said, we have been trying to do things the Small Family Way, and it just AIN'T working!!! So now I'm scouring the web, searching for sites that might give me some suggestions. (Oh to be a fly on Michelle Duggar's wall!!!) I'm on the MOMYS and QF digests, and I frequent the MOTHboard. I've also recently discovered www.lotsofkids.com, and I've already found some helpful suggestions on there.

What about y'all? Have you found the same to be true - you've had to adjust how you did things as your family got larger (not just "bigger" things, but the actual method involved as well)? Do you have any suggestions you could share with me? Any websites?

4 Comments:

No, I can't say I've had any of that. Maybe I'm still a small family??? **shrugs** That's why I have you. You get to figure all this out first and tell me about it when I get there. lol

AHEM Holly, you didn't share your tips! ;-) Do share your "systems" please! :-D

One thing I think we could use is some sort of "command central." The Duggars have one on their wall, where their schedules and chore charts and such are. Except dh wants one that isn't a bunch of papers LOL! I'm not sure where we'd actually PUT one though. Our main floor is an open floor plan, so it's not like there are many walls to work with LOL!

LOL Holly!!!!!

I like that idea! Do you hang it on the wall? Dh would really like a white board. Again, finding a spot for it is the problem though. :-P

Holly,

That's my problem too. We've done an OK job thinking outside the box for big stuff(we have had to have the wrong furniture in a room for several years LOL), but boy when it comes to the little things, I struggle too. Right now our table is in what should be the living room, school takes place in what should be the dining room, and our couch, TV, etc. are in the basement den. It just wouldn't fit any other way! Our kitchen has a HORRIBLE design (if you hear loud screams from this direction, it's me trying to unload the dishwasher), and that affects the rest of the house. I just can't figure out how to make it work. :-P

I think I may post this question on the MOMYS list and see what I can come up with. :-)

Back to Keer "Unplugged"

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com

Women4God Blogs

Godblogroll

My Photo
Name: razorbackmama
Location: Colorado, United States
E-mail me
About Me: I'm a 37yo woman who loves Jesus, my husband of 18 years, and my 8 precious children. We homeschool the older 5 (formally, anyway!). We attend a nondenominational, non-charismatic church.
See my complete profile

Subscribe with Bloglines

The WeatherPixie