Wednesday, August 10, 2005

The Anti-Poetry Gene

G is working through a poetry chapter in English right now. Oh my, you'd think I was killing the poor kid. A couplet is pure torture, I tell you! He emphatically told me the other day, "Poems are for girls."

Well, I was telling dh about the whole situation, and dh told me, "Oh man, I don't blame him. Poetry is so girly."

There you have it. It's hereditary. :-P

Edited to add: THIS IS A FUNNY THING, NOT INTENDED TO TEAR DOWN MY HUSBAND, as some have been led to believe (and therefore felt the need to post rude comments).

12 Comments:

MEN! humph!

It's for girls, exactly! One day he may want to write one for his girl!

That is funny.

Just tell him it's not poetry, it's a song...might could work or then again maybe not. ;^)

Hee hee Virginia!

When I told dh about this (AND AFTER HE STOPPED LAUGHING...yeah he felt like a real idiot I tell ya...sheesh), he said that part of the problem is the word "poetry." He thinks of flowery language and froo-froo stuff. He said, "Why don't they just call it 'rhyming words?'"

LOL!!!!!

And to think the majority of our famous poets have been men! LOL
Tell him it's "mathematical verse". Maybe he'll think it sounds better.
I'm really sorry you've had negative posters. I know you would never post anything you thought might tear down your husband.

A Haiku Poem
By Perri

Some stupid people
can ruin everything for
all the rest of us.

PERRI YOU ARE SOOOOOOOOOOO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keer,

You should try some of the ridiculous poems. "Where the sidewalk ends" and "Pizza the Size of the Sun" etc... have turned our kids into poetry fans. Bizzare experiences set to poetry really seem to work for kids ;-)

Yes, maybe you need to get some different poem. :-)
Shel Silverstein, like Carla mentioned?
I think there is something for everyone, in the world of poetry.

Who can't like "By the shores of Gitchigoomee, by the shining silver sea...."?

Or "The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere"?

Hey, who don't you ask Amanda, over at Wittingshire, for ideas? She posts poetry every Sunday, and has children.

I think G would like HEARING poems like that...the problem is that his assignments have been to WRITE them. LOL!!!!! He's finishing up a unit in which he had to write a couplet (oh the torture) and a shape poem (that went better).

Only a few more lessons and he'll be on to a grammar chapter. He'll be so relieved. *g*

I'm never going to forget Gr. 9 and having Haikus as any assignment. One of the guys in the class wrote about snow being like dandruff. It fit the Haiku criteria so the teacher had to accept it. Suffice it to say that it was NOT what she has in mind. Now knowing what I do about little (and big) boys....I wonder why she didn't expect that?

I memorized this one in 8th grade because I hated to dust.

Agatha Morley

Agatha Morley all her life
Grumbled at dust like a good wife
Dust on a table
Dust on a chair
Dust on a mantel she could not bear.

Agatha Morley is sleeping sound
Six feet under the moldy ground
Six feet under the earth she lies
With dust at her feet
And dust in her eyes!

I don't remember the author and I was 13 years old so that was 37 years ago. My children have heard me quote it numerous times as it is my sum total of memorized poetry other than bunches of hymns. Maybe your children will get a kick out of it. I still don't like to dust, btw!

I feel bad that you got that vitriolic of a response to Chapter 15 and the discussion. It really is a testimony to the effect of the book, isn't it? I would suppose that we ought to be as respectful to others as to our husbands, if they are brothers and sisters in the Lord. In fact, I think we are commanded to show respect to one another. Interesting....

Love and shalom,
Serena

Back to Keer "Unplugged"

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com

Women4God Blogs

Godblogroll

My Photo
Name: razorbackmama
Location: Colorado, United States
E-mail me
About Me: I'm a 37yo woman who loves Jesus, my husband of 18 years, and my 8 precious children. We homeschool the older 5 (formally, anyway!). We attend a nondenominational, non-charismatic church.
See my complete profile

Subscribe with Bloglines

The WeatherPixie