Monday, March 06, 2006

Playing the Bad Guy

A while back I noticed that C always wanted to act out the bad guy's part whenever he was pretending something. Green Goblin from Spiderman, Darth Vader, Doc Ock...he always was the bad guy! I grew concerned: "What is his fettish with evil characters?" "Does he think being bad is more 'exciting' than being good?" Etc.

Finally I asked him. "C, why do you like being the bad guy?" He gave me this "DUH" look. "They have cool helmets."

I had to admit, he's right. The good guys always have normal-looking costumes. But the monsters and bad guys - they have elaborate, high-tech costumes. They are also usually much more interesting characters. WHEW.

Well, this is what I overheard today. G and C were playing Star Wars with their Legos.

C (in some sort of strange voice): Why are you joining the dark side?

G: I'm not joining the dark side. I'm just putting on a different helmet.

That pretty much sums it up, doesn't it?

2 Comments:

We have trouble with this also. My husband and kids like to play the dark side on Star Wars games. I don't like it... but have not chosen to go to war with them about it. I draw the line at no shooting and killing games - only battles with droids or ships, no blood, no aiming guns at people. Video games are a real problem for my husband and the kids. I can limit the children, but he's a grown kid... so I just pray about him, and God listens. Prayer is a strong force!

Actually I don't mind them playing the bad guys at all. Now that I know their motives, that is! I was making it into this deep, spiritual, psychological reason that they wanted to be the bad guy. But they just want to wear the cool costumes. LOL! So now that I realize that, I'm cool with it. :-)

If they start emulating the behavior, THEN I'll be more concerned. :-)

Back to Keer "Unplugged"

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com

Women4God Blogs

Godblogroll

My Photo
Name: razorbackmama
Location: Colorado, United States
E-mail me
About Me: I'm a 37yo woman who loves Jesus, my husband of 18 years, and my 8 precious children. We homeschool the older 5 (formally, anyway!). We attend a nondenominational, non-charismatic church.
See my complete profile

Subscribe with Bloglines

The WeatherPixie