Monday, July 04, 2005

Typecasting

My friend Heather (Hi Heather! :-) ) has an awesome post on her blog about typecasting.
I know I judge people by appearances; it's what humans do. But I hate to be judged and pidgen-holed by my appearance and/or activities.
How did she know that I've been thinking the same things lately???

Misconception #1: Since I homeschool, I'm organized. The lady who came to my house selling me Girl Scout cookies exclaimed how organized I must be since I homeschool. I said, "You notice I'm not letting you in my house, don't you?" Actually, I guess it depends on what the definition is of "organized." If you mean "able to find what you're looking for," then I am (unless one of my kids walks off with what I'm looking for!). But if you mean "looks neat," then I am SO NOT. (But I'm attempting to work on it!)

Misconception #2: Since I have 5 children, I've always wanted a large family/love children/have had several "accidents." I simply want what the Lord wants, and I figure that when it's time for me to stop having children, I simply won't have any more. I love MY children, but I'm not a "kid person" in general. ;-)

Misconception #3: Since I'm not Reformed, I don't believe in the Sovereignty of God and believe that I can DO something to be saved. That would require a big ol' honkin' post in and of itself, but suffice it to say that nothing could be farther from the truth. One thing I have learned recently is that what I have been told Arminians believe is NOT what historical Arminianism is. Turns out I'm a 4-point Arminian! (I do believe in eternal security.) Here is a great article on what historical Arminianism teaches. (I was amazed!!!)

Misconception #4: Since my dh is a veterinarian, I have lots of pets. Not a one. Nor will we ever have one. Inside, anyway. Dh doesn't actually practice on live animals anymore...does that tell ya something? ;-)

Misconception #5: Since I use Bob Jones curriculum for almost everything and - GASP! - their HomeSat curriculum for some subjects, I'm trying to "do school at home." Nope. I just am really impressed with their materials. I even switched TO BJU FROM literature-based curriculums. (Horrors!)

Misconception #6: Since I'm from Arkansas I'm a Clinton fan. Um, no. It's because I'm from Arkansas that I'm NOT.

Misconception #7: Since I'm not a Pearl fan, I am anti-spanking, practice grace-based discipline, etc. Nope.

Misconception #8: Since I'm pretty conservative, I don't listen to contemporary Christian music. OR Since I listen to contemporary Christian music, I'm a more "liberal" Christian. I am BOTH conservative AND a big fan of CCM.

Misconception #9: Since I do not wear dresses only, I do not dress modestly. Well, I'm trying. In my current "fluffier" state it is a bit harder, but I do try to dress modestly, yet that DOES include pants.

Misconception #10: Since Susie ends up in my bed every night at some point, I am pro-co-sleeping. No, I just can't get her OUT without making all of our lives miserable in the process. (Can't wait till Bobby can take some time off work!!!) I'm not ANTI-co-sleeping (for other people)...it just AIN'T for me at all!!! That ship sailed back when Grant was a baby LOL!

I'm sure I could come up with more. Hee hee. Have I ruined ya'll's opinion of me? ;-)

I'm just glad that all Jesus asks is that I follow Him, not what other Christians do. Following all of those things is way too stressful.

10 Comments:

I'm right there with you, Kirstin! It's downright weird how many "slots" I don't fit into. Another homeschooling misconception is that we are so patient. Um, no. I'd LOVE to be, but it's something I'm working on, not something I've attained.

I can't imagine never having a pet, though :-) Our cat is the world's best mouser....and I like them much better dead than alive, so she stays :-)

Oh yeah!!! Forgot the "patient" misconception LOL! Or how about "you must have wanted to be a teacher." Um....that would assume that I'm a kid person LOL! Nope, never wanted to be a teacher either.

We've considered outside cats from time to time for mousing purposes, and outside dogs too, but inside....nope LOL! In AR we had mouse problems and just kept the mousetrap people in business. ;-)

It's cool to learn more about you! I think it's neat how most people don't fit into a pre-determined mold. It keeps things interesting! :)

welcome to the dispy's keer! ;-)

Hmmmm......does that mean I can't turn you into an English Mastiff lover???? heeheehee

LOL Barbara!!! I never said I WASN'T a dispy, but I don't know enough about it to say for sure. ;-) I CAN say I'm not covenantal though.

And LOL Kelli! I DO like dogs (big ones especially...none of those yip-yip dogs for me!), just not in my house. :-D

I saw on Carrie's site that she posted a whole slew of interesting facts about her. I'm thinking about doing something similar. I always love reading about people. :-)

I love your last statement "I am just glad that Jesus asks me to follow him, not what other Christians do"...because I am forever saying "God convicts us of different things for different reasons." and the people who attack me for wearing pants/watching an occasional rated R movie/ are doing things that I have felt are wrong for ME.

Oh exactly Sheri! My pastor's sermon was on legalism Sunday. He explained that legalism isn't when we are sticklers about what the Bible DOES say, but when we are about what the Bible DOESN'T say.

Help me Keers...what is covenental? I'm still trying to figure out what a lot of these terms mean.

LOL I don't know exactly. All I know is based on what I've read, and I'm so NOT that. For example, a covenantal theologian would most likely believe in infant baptism because of the "covenant" of faith in a family. (I know I'm not explaining that right AT ALL.) I BELIEVE R.C. Sproul, Jr. is covenantal in his beliefs....

Back to Keer "Unplugged"

Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com

Women4God Blogs

Godblogroll

My Photo
Name: razorbackmama
Location: Colorado, United States
E-mail me
About Me: I'm a 37yo woman who loves Jesus, my husband of 18 years, and my 8 precious children. We homeschool the older 5 (formally, anyway!). We attend a nondenominational, non-charismatic church.
See my complete profile

Subscribe with Bloglines

The WeatherPixie