Wednesday, January 04, 2006
Separation of church and state
Had this thought dawn on me the other day as I was driving down the road, listening to some radio show:
All this hype about separation of the church and state, what the Founding Fathers intended, blah blah blah...
If stuff like prayer and the Bible in schools (or other things along those lines that the ACLU is always up in arms about - not just these two issues) were so contrary to what the Founding Fathers wanted, why didn't they tackle these issues right off the get go? If they were so concerned about issues like these, they should have done something about it. But they didn't and apparently were fine with these things.
What makes the ACLU and others think that they are so much more "enlightened" about the Founding Fathers' intent than the Founding Fathers themselves?
6 Comments:
Very good and I agree with you 100%!
Even though we began as a melting pot, so to speak, I doubt the Founding Fathers ever imagined we would be such a diverse nation.
Sometimes the Constitution does seem inadequate or outdated for this group of people (lamenting that fact, but recognizing it all the same).
So then the question needs to change. If we are honest we can see easily what the Founding Fathers had in mind. Maybe we should be asking if their vision is still our vision?
~Amy, the closet revolutionary
I want what the Founding Fathers intended. Separation of church FROM the state, not separation of the state (and society at large) FROM the church (which is what the ACLU and their cohorts are trying to do).
I think you've missed my point....
Andy, as I said in my last comment, I do NOT want the state to be involved in the church.
What I am saying is that the Founding Fathers never intended for God to be removed from anything and everything "governmental" or even "public." For example...prayer in schools. (Which was the point of my post.) Had that been of such concern (as the ACLU likes to think it is), the Founding Fathers would have tackled that themselves right away.
Andy,
Methinks you enjoy looking for a debate even where there is none.
I posted this post, not to debate, but just to share a thought I had.
If prayer in schools (or anything of that nature) was as big of a stink as all the ACLU gurus think it is, then the Founding Fathers would have tackled it themselves.
THAT'S ALL I'M SAYING.
Please stop assuming and seeking a debate where there isn't intended to be one.
Andy,
No one said anything about anger, banning, or the like. PLEASE be careful with what you read into posts!
Conversation is FINE! :-) Debate when there isn't intended to be one isn't so cool.
I am not banning you from commenting, but I AM asking you to not read things into my post that aren't there. I think we agree on this more than we don't, yet you seem to be stirring up a debate.
Back to Keer "Unplugged"