I found this article: FOXNews.com - Politics - Redistricting in Georgia Miffs Democrats. Two things bug me about it.
1. The Republicans are playing politics just as much they are accusing the Democrats of doing. Why can't they just wait till the NORMAL time to redraw the district lines? :-P
2.
Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe this is where I'm politically incorrect, but should it really matter what "type" of people live in an area? Why can't we just divide the districts based solely on population? Why does race have to be taken into consideration at all?The current boundaries were approved by the courts after more than four years of legal challenges. As with other formerly segregationist states, Georgia must prove to the federal government that any new political map does not unfairly weaken minority voting.
"There's no question that this dilutes black voting strength in Georgia. And when you start shifting those, then you're going to have another five years of litigation, which is absolutely wasted money," said Democratic state Rep. Dubose Porter.
I do happen to be white, but if I were not white I'd be offended if anyone assumed I'd vote or think a certain way, just based on my skin color. Heck, I guess I'm already offended when someone assumes that way now! Just like society assumes that I'd vote for some feminist chick just because I'm a woman. That offends me that that assumption is made based on my gender.
So I think it is dumb and offensive for people to try to get as many people with one skin color in a district, just to up their party's chances come election time. Just draw the lines to make the districts equal in the state...DUH!!!
All this time wasted on dumb arguments such as this. All these people raising such a big stink about minority voting, equality, blah blah blah. If they'd all just shut up, encourage EVERYONE to vote (not just people of their same skin color), and let the lines be drawn so that things were TRULY equal, we'd be much better off. And we might actually get something truly important accomplished.




